Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Sisterhood Of The Traveling Sports Bra

Let me hear your story!


Sisterhood of the Traveling Sports Bra


As part of our workout routine today we had to use rowing machines, run 2 miles under 16 minutes and some other crazy shit. Today we had to complete over 2500 rows. I suck at rowing!! Our fearless leader is always riding me hard in an attempt to make me better. Today my machine was next to lets call her Yol. This woman is hardcore. “No bullshit” type and mostly serious (with me). This is why I was surprised when I heard her say “Gretchen Not Like That!” and then took the time to help me. She taught me how to push with my legs, pull with my arms and keep my back straight. I was able to reach for 2500 rows within our time for the first time ever! I have a lot of room for improve but I did it! I was able to accomplish my rows because someone took the time to care and make a difference. I was able to continue because someone was there pushing me not to give up. I was able to follow an example because someone took the time to lead. This is what my blog is all about! It’s about taking the time to share my lessons learned with you. She could have gone on her merry way into 3500 rows but she didn't. She rowed with me row for row till I got it right till I finished.  This is what it's all about ladies! It's about helping each other do better! It's about sharing the pounds! It's about being proud of one another. So what if someone is faster, stronger or better than you. If you have a technique that helps others, share it! If they use your technique and become better than you, let it! If they win the race and you don't even place its okay if that’s the case! YOU are the reason that person became better, you are one of the reasons that person won the race. This makes you a winner in any race! If they thank you, well… If they give you credit, awesome. If they appreciate you, even better. However, if they don't or better yet pretend you had nothing to do with their new motivation or new love for running that's okay too. It is not about what others can do for you but what you can do for others. 

We are all on the same team ladies, our vaginas prove it.

I celebrated my son's second bday last year in Miami's Daddy Bear, a place most people would not be caught dead in. It's old and a little “ghetto fabulous” (well maybe a lot). I consider myself a girl with taste. I could have celebrated his bday in a more suitable place. I didn't. Why? Last year I made a promise to myself that I would stop trying to Keep Up With The Kardashians. What Do I mean by this? I did not want to become the type of parent that is more into making it about herself vs. her kid. I did not want to create a bday party so everyone can talk about the money I spent, how expensive everything was and have them leave with an impression. I wanted to celebrate a bday party where kids would enjoy games, pizza and cake. A bday party that was suitable for a 2 yr old and not a bday that I would spend millions on to be forgotten in 72 days. It wasn't about the biggest cake, the biggest place or the best location. It was about celebrating the moment. Just like, it is not about the firmest breast, tightest ass or smallest waist. It's not about the perfect hair, injections or fillers. It’s about celebrating your moment! The moment you start noticing the difference in your clothes and you know you're one your way. If we as women continue to compete with each other instead of celebrating our sisterhood, we are making the world a very easy place for men to control.

If we don't feel comfortable going to the gym because our stomachs are not flat enough like the girl next to us then we are missing the entire point of a gym and should get our money back!

It's about a routine that works for our schedule. It's about a diet that we can handle. It's about being comfortable in our own skin sisters! It's about helping other sisters become comfortable in theirs!

Let us stop trying to Keep Up With The Kardashians and try keeping up with our waistline instead!
My person (Grey's Anatomy reference) and I were talking the other day. She is in a very great place in her life with her relationship with God. She posts things in FB everyday about her church, her faith and her passion. I explained to her that her OCD was scaring me.  She said to me, "Gretchen, I love god and if I can help one person experience the love I have for him then I have made a difference.”

I realized she and I are not different at all. She wants to motivate people to love God and I want to motivate people to love themselves. She is a follower of her church. I am a follower of the gym. She serves people through her church and I serve people through my blog.  We both have amazing hearts and it is probably the reason she is my person.

It does not matter how much salad we serve, what matters is that we do! 
It does not matter if we skipped our workout today, what matters is that we continue! It does not matter if the scale doesn't change, what matters is that we do! It does not matter that I don't fit into my skinny jeans, what matters is that one day I will!

I have received calls, text and emails thanking me for inspiring and motivating some of you. People are running at 5am, during work or at the gym. You have no idea how humble this makes me. The same way I am making a difference in your life, please know, you are making a difference in mine. 

Women carry a lot of weight inside and outside of the gym. We take care of our kids, husband, family, careers, stay at home and the list goes on and on but we very seldom take care of each other. It is usually a selective circle we call our friends. I say expand that circle! If you have someone that has noticed how much weight you have lost, share the story. If someone is impressed with your running skills, invite them to join you for a run. You have no idea for you might be changing a person’s life.

I started this blog for various reasons. One being, I was invited to run with hardcore runners and have learned a-lot. I thought how cool would it be to share this with others. Exercise and running have turned me into a better person. I hope it does the same for you. I hope one day you have a story to share and motivate someone to get out there and run! Improve their physical fitness life! Show them that together as sisters  we will make a difference.  You guys see in your FB 8 miles completed, 10 miles completed or 12 miles completed from me. You know what I see in mine? I see 22 miles completed, 24 miles completed and 26 miles completed. I get motivated by them. I hope you can get a little motivated by me.  I will look forward to the day when you are ready to post your miles completed, moving it forward and making a difference.

Let's run it forward!
Because in order to finish in any race,
 you need to continue moving it forward!

Find friends that lead by great example and follow them, because one day a friend will be following you. This my sisters is how sisterhoods are born. Some sisterhoods travel in pants while other sisterhoods travel in sports bras. It does not matter in what we travel as long as we travel together.


Loves,


gFoReal

 PS Today I give me self a C+. Again, the eating not so great but not that bad. Just not great.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got this G!