Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Math 101: Multiple Choice

Let me hear your story!



Warning: Today’s blog is only about basic intake vs. outtake.  Proceed only if you want to see calories in and calories out through my eyes. Otherwise, proceed to closing the blog and coming back tomorrow.

Math 101: Multiple Choice

Today, I was not able to make it on time to meet up with the Road Runners of Pembroke Pines (just made up that name by the way). I woke up on-time, dragging myself out of bed at 4:20 am. The reason I was running behind was because of toilet duties. I hate when this happens to me but I had no choice. Running with toilet duties SUCKS! I finished with my toilet duties and I am not going to lie, I crawled back to bed. It was around 5:03. I was telling myself F&*K IT! I was tired and the weather did not look like it was going to cooperate. I lay down closed my eyes . I opened them at 5:15 am. As much as I wanted to go to sleep, I couldn’t. It was not because I did not want to but because I did not need to. I needed to burn some calories. I needed to get outside. I needed to go run. So I got up, grabbed my iPhone and went outside. It was around 5:40 and I did not want to run too far by myself. I decided to run around my block. I knew without the running crew, sun or cold weather, it was going to be a tough mental race. I did it anyways. I ran around my house till I made it to 7 miles this morning with 723 calories burned.  As I was running I thought about the blog and all the craziness that comes out of my mouth. I thought that had it not been for the blog I would have gone back to bed.  I was really tired. I think it’s because I woke up very early to exercise. I have tried working out later in the day but it’s not the same feeling for me. The natural high I am on the entire day from my 5am runs or workouts is priceless. I need exercise in my life in order to function happily in this world.

My love for exercise started me thinking how did women function in the 1950’s without any exercise? How did they release stress? How did they keep in shape? How did they stay healthy?  I can only assume that it has to do with the amount of house cleaning work they would do around the house. For some of us career working moms, we sit behind a desk for 40 hrs.  a week. 40 hrs! Do you know what this does to your metabolism? It makes it go to sleep.  In average a women in todays ‘world burns about 556 calories a day just for being.  If you exercise and you burn 500 calories those are additional to what you burn for being you.   

Ladies, our bodies give us 556 FREE calories burned!

I would like to explain to you how I break down my exercise and intake in a way that makes sense to me. I have a background in computer systems but mostly the financial kind, so numbers is something that I can translate into calories.

Please Note: This is my way of looking at calories in vs. calories out. I am not a doctor.

Let’s Begin:

Income is equal to Exercise CALORIES OUT

Bills are equal to Meals and Snacks CALORIES IN

You are going to earn daily 556 calories just for being you. You will use your daily income to pay your daily bills.


Example 1)

Your daily Income = 556 dollars

Your 2nd daily Income = 0

Daily Bills:

Breakfast – 150

Lunch – 650

Dinner = 750

Snacks = 150

Your total bills = $1700.00

Daily Bills ($1700) – Daily Income ($556) = Daily Balance $1144

In order for your account to be in good standing it needs to at $ 1200 or less (1200 total calories per day to drop weight is what I go by).

This number is below 1200 so your account remains in good standing.

Example 2)

Your daily income = 556 just for being you.

Your daily 2nd income = 0

Daily Bills

Breakfast = 500

Lunch = 1000

Dinner = 1200

Snacks = 400

Total Daily Bills = 3100

Your Daily Bills (3100) – Your Daily Income (556) = 2544

Good standing is 1200 anything over is consider debit so you need to roll it over to the next day. You are rolling over 2544. You still owe this.

Example 3)

Daily Income = 556 just for being you

2nd Daily Income = 500

Your Daily Total Income = 1056

Your Daily Meals

Breakfast = 200

Lunch = 650

Dinner = 750

Snack = 100

Total Bills = $1700

Total Income ($1700) – Total Daily Income (1056) = 644 (under 1200, excellent standing!)

Example 4)

Your daily income = 556 just for being you.

2nd Daily Income = 500

Daily Bills

Breakfast = 750

Lunch = 1000

Dinner = 1500

Snack 1 = 400

Snack 2 = 350

Total Daily Bills = 4000

Your Daily Bills ($4000) – Your Daily Income ($1000) = $3000 (total balance almost triples the 1200 in order to have a daily good standing with your account). It takes 3500 to gain a pound.

And the answer is?:

Example 1)

You did not exercise at all because you did not get credit for your 2nd income. The 2nd income equals the calories burned. You controlled your intake (bills).  This is not the formula to use if you are trying to lose weight but maybe maintain.

Example 2)

You did not have a 2nd income and your bills were way too high! You have a lot of debit starting to pill up (calories).  This is how you gain weight!

Example 3) Correct!

This example is what it is all about!

You had a 2nd income (exercise) and you kept your bills controlled! Because the number is low then your body starts noticing a deficiency and starts losing weight!
For some it's under 1800 to start see deficiency for others as low as 1200.

Example 4)

This speaks for itself. NO exercise and your bills are so high as if you were paying for 2! (Eating for two). This is how you gain weight!

There is not science to this ladies!

The more we put in the bank and manage to control our bills the quicker we can start saving.

Translation

The more we put into exercise and mange to control our food the quicker we can start losing weight.
It really is all about math, it's all about numbers.

Numbers is the universal language of the world because it is something that everyone understands. Regardless of the path you come from or the path you are on, numbers will always tell a story. They will tell you where you live (your address), who you are (social security), where to reach you (your phone number), you height and the one number must of us seem to dislike, our weight.

If we want to start getting along with the scale, we need to start understanding its number. There is not a lot of difference between balancing your check book and balancing the scale. They both require work, time and understanding subtractions.

Loves,


gFoReal


PS

I will start grading myself based on my 1200 calories achieved.  I give myself a B for only missing it by 152 pts.

1 comment:

  1. Loving your calorie breakdown. I knew that 3500 calories equals a pound but I didn't really "understand" the math. Now I "get it". Thanks for sharing. Xoxo

    ReplyDelete

I got this G!